Wednesday, February 9, 2022

The feels of/for UIL....

 So here we are at the contest week. Each school having worked since November/December to prepare their students and shows.

Where are my thoughts?  Nervous, intimidation, concern, second guessing, worry, wanting, tired....

I must remind myself that I did the best I could despite all the challenges:

COVID wipeout of students on any given day and for weeks

Undertrained students (felt like truly starting from zero) due to missing stage opportunities...again COVID

Lack of rehearsals....felt like I needed more

Students not getting off book in time to really explore characters

Competing with all other school activities for students' time 

Continual  changes to make it better...throws young actors

Snow days wiping out rehearsals and preview show.

Selecting shows that include the maximum cast and crew allowed plus extras.

And on and on and on....

Would it have been easier to do a minimum cast show this year?  Yes.

Would the students have gotten anything out of that though?  Not in my opinion.

Did I build a show that will overwhelm the judges with technology?  No.

Did I create a story full of fun characters?  Yes.

Did I hopeful create a show arc with the lead? Maybe.

Do I hope to advance or be recognized?  Yes. 

Will it happen?  Maybe.

I must remind myself that all schools are perhaps going through what we did.  But maybe they decided to have continual Saturday rehearsals unlike me.  Though wrangling my group to meet on a Saturday is an act of higher powers.

I kept putting my family and personal self first.  And I may "pay" for that this year. 

In the end, it will be.  I will pick up the cast no matter what rewards are received or not.  Remind them that it is about the journey not the awards....blah, blah, blah.  Then start the next show.





1 comment:

  1. You make better actors, better students, and better people. Everything else is secondary!

    ReplyDelete